Depending on where you live in Shanghai, the morning commute can be the worst. I happen to be one of the luckiest people in the city, my office right across the street from my apartment. Most days, I can roll out of bed around 8, make some coffee in the trusty french press, and read useless buzzfeed lists until I force myself to get up and throw on some clothes to go out out and brave the cold (for my 2 minute commute).
I always tell myself, “I am going to make breakfast tomorrow,” and sometimes I do. I bought a blender about a month ago and found a place to get almond milk, so a couple of days a week I can make myself a Banana Honey Smoothie (Frozen banana, almond milk, honey, and lots of cinnamon, it will change your life)
Alas, since it has gotten cold, the lure of the egg pancake lady is too much to resist. For those who have never had the pleasure of eating a Jianbing, first of all, I’m sorry. Second of all, let me explain. It is a thin layer of dough with an egg fried into it on the griddle, add some cilantro, scallions, pickled veggies, some amazing sauce that I can’t identify, hot peppers, and a crispy cracker thingy, and you have the most delicious 50 cent breakfast in the world.
As good as it tastes, it can’t be the healthiest of breakfasts, so on Sunday during my last bake-fest, I figured I could try out my new muffin tin and some sun-dried tomatoes that I ordered from Kate & Kimi, and created Sun-dried Tomato Egg Muffins!
I promise I will get better about this in the future, but you’ll have to bear with my approximated measurements, I rarely measure ingredients or record baking times, I know I’m the worst.
Sun-dried Tomato Egg Muffins Ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 1 croissant (or any type of bread)
- approximately 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- dash of pepper
- pinch of salt
- approximately 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, any type (I used an “Italian Mix”)
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a 6 cup muffin tin, rip croissant (or bread) into bite size pieces and put in the cups
- In a small bowl, mix eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes
- Pour egg mixture into muffin tin, filling almost to the top
- top with shredded cheese
- Bake for approximately 20 mins, until puffed up and done all the way through