Ok, I know I am getting a little post happy, but no one told me how therapeutic this whole blogging thing is. I am definitely going to have to invest in a decent camera for the future, as I am currently using a cheap Samsung that I picked up in an electronics market, yay China!
Who doesn’t love a good salad? Ok, I’m sure there are some people, but just ignore them. One thing I missed the most when I got to Shanghai was Kale. I had developed a slight obsession with it back in the States, especially paired with a mustardy lemony dressing. One could say I was a little excited when I discovered I could buy it at Avocado Lady.
I think I have mentioned Avocado Lady before, but for you non-Shanghaiers, let me explain. Avocado Lady is a petite Chinese woman who had a vegetable stand and a dream. Well, not so much a dream as a few spare avocados, which she discovered that the foreigners loved. So she started stocking them year round, and cheap ($1 an avocado, yes please). Then she started stocking fresh basil, and then arugula, and then pine nuts, and you get the idea. In her little vegetable stand the size of a bathroom she sells everything from coconut oil to goat cheese, all for half the price of the import stores. Most importantly, she has kale. All hail Avocado Lady!
- approximately 3 cups of chopped Kale
- 1 small tomato
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of black beans
- 1 avocado
- White cheddar cheese, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 T olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and finely chop kale
- Finely dice tomato and onion
- In a blender/food processor, combine cilantro, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper, massage the dressing into the chopped kale
- Mix the onion, tomato, black beans, and sliced avocado into the salad, and put in the fridge to let the kale absorb the flavor
- While the salad is in the fridge, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and rub into chicken breast. Grill chicken (or use preferred cooking method) and let sit for a few minutes when done to lock in the juices and flavor.
- When the chicken has cooled a bit, take the salad out of the fridge and place sliced chicken on top, topping with a little (or a lot) of white cheddar cheese
- Pig out.
This recipe can easily be made meat (and cheese) free, for a delicious vegan option. Happy Eating!