I am not one to brag, but my guacamole is pretty much amazing (at least that’s what my Dad tells me). I am a huge avocado fan, and my favorite way to eat them is in guacamole. Guacamole is pretty versatile, you can pretty much add whatever you want into the creamy goodness of mashed avocados. I stick to a pretty classic recipe. The key for me is a few drops of hot sauce. Also, I never measure ingredients when I am making guacamole, it’s all about my personal taste for the day. Sometimes I add an obscene amount of cilantro, sometimes I go salt heavy, I’m sure my heart will hate me later.
I have been seeing a lot of recipes online lately for “guacamole” that doesn’t contain avocados, like edamame guacamole. I personally don’t get it, but I guess people are trying to be healthier. I know that avocados are a little calorie dense, but they are also super healthy. When I make a batch of guacamole, I eat it on everything. My personal favorite is with eggs in the morning, trust me.
- Red onions
- Lime juice (Lemon Juice will work in a pinch)
- Hot Sauce
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash to desired chunkiness
- Add preferred amount of chopped tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and garlic
- Add a few pinches of sea salt and a squeeze of citrus (taste, and add more if needed)
- Add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce
- Mix well & refrigerate covered until ready to eat (sometimes I like to let it sit awhile for the flavors to really blend)
- Pig out
I really like spicy food, so I always add some fresh jalapeno if I have some. I haven’t had much luck finding them in Shanghai. I need to make that my mission. Along with getting a transformer so I can use my slow cooker. I miss my mom’s chili right about now…I wonder if that would make it through customs?