Finally back after my long Chinese New Year hiatus! My sister and best friend came to visit China for the first time, so we crammed as much as we could into one week. We went to all the fun spots in Shanghai and then on to the frozen tundra of Beijing to climb the Great Wall! I introduced them to lots of good eats; Sichuan, Yunan, and Xinjiang cuisine, Beijing roast duck, soup dumplings, and everything else I could think of. And of course we HAD to order Chinese Dominoes for one of our more…er, dehydrated mornings.
Even though they sadly left last Thursday, I haven’t really been on my cooking game. I’ve been more on my sleeping game trying to get back into the routine of work. Today for lunch I couldn’t really stand any more takeout from the pulled noodle place downstairs, so I made my own noodles (yayyy variety). I wanted to make a quick favorite of mine, soba noodles with honey sesame dressing. But alas! I was out of soba noodles, I substituted these egg noodles and they tasted just as good!
This recipe is painfully easy, and still tastes good the next day, so make a big batch. I only made a single serving, which I am sure I will regret once the late night snack craving strikes, but I will write the recipe for the larger serving. This dressing has the salty flavor of soy sauce, the sweet flavor of honey, and if you’re me, the spicy flavor this chili sauce I bought at the grocery story that I put on everything. I bought a big bunch of cilantro and spring onions at the store a few nights ago, and this is the perfect excuse to use a ton of it before it goes bad.
One more thing to mention, these egg noodles were really good, but buckwheat (soba) are just a little bit better in my opinion. They are a tad thicker and more starchy, and balance out the sauce a little better. Also, they are gluten free for all my gluten intolerant friends out there!
- Dry (or Fresh!) egg noodles (about 4 small bundles)
- fresh cilantro
- sesame seeds
- 1 T canola oil (or grapeseed, sunflower, etc…)
- 3 T toasted sesame oil
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T honey
- Optional: 1 t of hot chili sauce, or red pepper flakes
- Boil the egg noodles (or soba) according to the instructions on the the package
- While the noodles are cooking, roughly chop desired amount of fresh cilantro and scallions (I use tons)
- Mix both oils, soy sauce, honey, and whatever spicy goodness you choose (or don’t choose) and mix until well combined
- Pour the sauce over the drained noodles, add veggies and some sesames seeds, mix well
- Pig out
If this dish looks suspiciously like the picture in the header of the blog, that is because I make it wayyy to often. Enjoy!