Sometimes I just get the craving for chocolate chip cookies, but not the sawdust Chips Ahoy you can buy at the convenience stores here. Back when I lived in Nanjing, fresh baked cookies were just a dream. I didn’t have a toaster oven, and all the “bakeries” in town either didn’t have cookies, or had hard-as-rock-fake-chocolate-chip monstrosities. Well not in Shanghai, if I can’t bake them myself, there are plenty of places to get some soft baked chocolate chip cookies. It is good to have a basic chocolate chip recipe in your arsenal to whip up on demand & that’s what this is.
Most people have the basics for chocolate chip cookies in their pantries, but I never have chocolate chips on hand. I have a really hard time finding them in Shanghai, but last week I was walking around Jing’an and came across a Pines Grocery. I had never been in one so I went in to check prices, and I found a package of mini chocolate chips for 14RMB ($2 USD). Definitely couldn’t pass that up, but other than chocolate chips, the other ingredients are pretty basic.
- 1 and 1/8 cup cups of AP Flour
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter at room temperature (do NOT melt in the microwave)
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (also at room temperature)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C)
- Whisk the flour and baking soda in a small bowl
- With the mixer on low (or by hand), cream the butter and sugars until fluffy
- Add the egg, salt, and vanilla and continue beating until creamy
- Mix in the dry ingredients
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Place a few inches apart a baking sheet with a tablepoon
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until the edges are golden brown
- Let sit on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes before moving to a rack to cool
- Pig out
Make sure you don’t over bake the cookies, or what you have is basically a Chinese bakery chocolate chip cookie. Sometimes the middle doesn’t look done after 8 minutes, but it will be fine after it sets and cools. No pardon me as I go eat cookies.
This recipe will make 24 cookies & can be easily doubled.