I have to say I am pretty proud of this salad. All of the elements are pretty tasty, and also healthy. I have been having one of those months where I feel like I’ve eaten a large greasy pizza and a Big Mac every day. I haven’t, don’t worry, but I am just in a rut with my eating habits. I got really into clean eating last time I lived in the States, but I have to admit it’s easier said than done here in Shanghai.
Between my trip home (which consisted of Bojangles and Chick-fil-a) and my terrible sleep schedule since I’ve been back, my eating has been way off. Today I said no more, and ventured out to the Tesco to gather ingredients for a good old-fashioned, clean eating salad.
I was super excited to find a bag of baby spinach in the Tesco when I was shopping. I love spinach, but the spinach here in China usually has long, humungous leaves. They are good for sauteing but not great for salads, so when I found this baby spinach I grabbed two bags and went into salad making mode.
All the elements of this salad are fresh and very summery, I kept the dressing is light because the real star is the chicken. The marinade has brown sugar and soy sauce and it really is an awesome combo with the apples and feta. I am dubbing the dressing honey-lemon dressing because it is literally just honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper, aka my new favorite thing.
For the salad:
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 4-5 cubes of feta cheese, chopped (this is really based on personal preference, feel free to cheese it up)
- 2-3 cups baby spinach leaves
For the dressing:
- approximately 1 t honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- approximately 1 T olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Chicken
- 1 package of chicken tenderloins
- 2 T light soy sauce
- 1 T dark soy sauce
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T brown sugar
- garlic powder to taste
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Rinse and pat dry the chicken tenderloins, and pour the marinade over the chicken. Put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- While the chicken marinades, dice up the apple and feta cheese and set aside. Wash and pat dry the spinach and put in a small mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the honey into a small ramekin (I had to add a little hot water to “melt” the honey) add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper and mix well.
- When the chicken is done marinading, cook using desired method. I used my wonderful grill pan to get that grilled flavor that I love so much. Tenderloins cook fast, only a few minutes on each side, so be careful not to overcook.
- While the chicken rests, toss the spinach, feta, apples and dressing in the mixing bowl, then place on a plate.
- Slice 2 or 3 tenderloins and and add to the top of the salad.
- Pig out
The chicken is absolutely delicious, the soy sauce and brown sugar give it a really great salty/sweet flavor that pairs awesome with the honey in the dressing. The apples and feta give the rest of the salad that same salty/sweet flavor profile, but at the same time it still tastes very light. It’s basically an enigma wrapped in a mystery how well this salad comes together.
I am really loving my new camera, I think it takes great pictures and I can’t wait to figure out how to really use it correctly, until then its time to eat salads on salads on salads.