I have definitely been absent from the blog this week, but I have a good excuse: the World Cup. Since all the games are at midnight, 3am and 6am China time, I have barely been sleeping let alone cooking. In fact, I am definitely getting up at 6am tomorrow morning to go watch the USA play Portugal. In my current nervous state, baking is the only way to relax.
My favorite fruit of all time is definitely peaches, it probably stems from my upbringing in the South where peach cobbler is a religion in the summer time. I have been buying peaches like my life depends on it lately, and I wanted to make a dessert that reminds my of my Mom’s peach cobbler, but I can’t make an entire pan of peach cobbler (ah, the woes of living along). What to do, what to do? Enter: Peach Crisp for one.
One is not the loneliest number when it is one ramekin of sugary, crispy, bubbling peachy goodness.
This dessert is super easy to make and the ingredient list is short and sweet, which is my kind of recipe since I usually make stuff like this on a whim when my sweet tooth strikes.
- 2 small peaches, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 T whole wheat flower
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 T butter, cubed
- pinch of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine diced peaches, 2 T granulated sugar, and a squeeze of lemon juice, mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, and dash of salt
- With a fork, cut the cubed butter into the flour and oats mix until it is a crumbly consistency
- Put the peach mixture in a oven-safe ramekin, top with crumble mixture
- Bake in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumble is crispy and brown
- Pig out
This peach crisp is perfect for two people, but also for one if you have a problem with sharing. The combination of crispy cinnamon topping and ripe peaches is manna from heaven, especially nice with hot cup of coffee. Perfect fuel for my World Cup viewing marathon!