Ahhh 2015. 1995 seems like it was just yesterday, I’m sure I don’t need to remind you it was 20 years ago. My holiday was quite eventful. I was silent on the blog for good reason: I flew home to the good ol’ US of A to surprise my parents for Christmas, and what a surprise it was. There were tears, there were laughs, there were unintelligible noises (thanks, Dad). The only thing that could have made my few precious weeks at home better would have been if I DIDN’T GET THE FLU. It is seriously flupocolypse over there right now, and I wasn’t spared from its wrath.
The flu sadly meant that I didn’t get to do nearly any cooking while I was home, or eating for that matter. And no cooking and eating means no blogging. But worry not, I have a gem from my archives to post as my first recipe of 2015: Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Radishes with Herb Yogurt Sauce.
It’s a perfect first recipe for 2015. It’s healthy and really delicious, & it uses some really great seasonal veggies. It’s not like I’m doing any crazy new years resolution or anything, I am definitely going to be baking cookies soon 🙂
I will admit that I made this quite some time ago, but I’ve just been hoarding the pictures and not setting aside the time to edit them and write the post, so my memory is a bit hazy on the measurements. I can’t believe that in one whole year of blogging I haven’t figured out how to balance it with my job and actually create an editorial calendar of some sort.
I have learned a lot about blogging in the past year, it is a lot more complicated than it seems. When I first started I kind of just figured “if I write it, they will come,” but that isn’t true at all. Blog visibility is all about design, SEO, having decent pictures, and so much more. In this next year I foresee some changes to the blog, as well as in my life in general, but for now back to the vegetables.
Brussels sprouts and radishes are so delicious together, who would have thought? Roasted with honey is definitely the way to go. The sweetness of the honey and spiciness of the radishes can’t be beat, especially with the freshness of the parsley and mint in the yogurt sauce. It would be a great as a side dish or even a main (which is how I ate it).
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts (halved)
- 1 cup baby radishes
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 2 T honey
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 handful fresh mint
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- preheat your oven to 400F, meanwhile wash the veggies and half the Brussels sprouts
- put the veggies in a large bowl, and add the olive oil, honey & some salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Roast the veggies for 10 minutes, then flip and set the timer for another 10. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly
- While the veggies are roasting, add the rest of the ingredients to a small blender and pulse a few times until you have a smooth sauce. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking (i.e. more lemon juice, more cumin, etc…)
- When the veggies are done, serve in desired way (I ate mine over a salad and used the sauce as a dressing)
- Pig out
Here’s to a happy, healthy 2015! While I always strive to eat as healthy as I can (everything in moderation!) I think my resolutions will be blog related. Let’s see what changes come this year!