One of my biggest issues with having no full sized oven is the serious lack of homemade pizza. Pizza gets a bad rap for being super unhealthy, and if you’re ordering from Domino’s, the chances are that it is. BUT if you make your own pizza, you can control the amount and quality of the ingredients, and it will be probably be healthier and taste better.
How do you make a homemade pizza in Shanghai where almost every apartment is san oven? You make it in your toaster oven on a piece of homemade (or not) naan. I whipped up this grilled naan pizza with some homemade pesto, a small amount of sharp white cheddar, roasted asparagus, and a healthy amount of olive oil. It’s no small salad, but it’s a far cry from the shrimp, corn & mayo monstrosities that pass for pizzas in China.
So pretty much every component of this pizza is made from scratch, and its so much easier than you think it would be. I used my go to recipe for quick naan, which I make on my trusty grill pan. And for the base I used a homemade pesto instead of traditional pizza sauce.
I got most of the ingredients to make this pizza from Kate and Kimi. Basil & pine nuts for pesto, Greek Yogurt for the naan, and asparagus for roasting. I am loving their selection, particularly of fresh herbs and nuts.
Pesto is so easy to make, you can’t even really write a recipe. Traditionally, it has basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, olive oil & Parmesan cheese, but you can leave out the cheese to make it vegan, change up the type of nut, or use different greens altogether. Any way you make it, its gonna taste good on a pizza.
This pizza is really simple, and to be honest you can really add whatever you want. It would be great with any type of cheese you have on hand. I made 3 pizzas so the ingredients list will reflect that, but it is really easy to eyeball the amount of stuff you’ll need if you plan on increasing the recipe. This is perfect for a quick dinner or a party snack.
- 3 pieces of naan
- 4-5 T of pesto (can be homemade, canned, whatever you want)
- 1/2 cup of sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch of asparagus, roasted
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- First things first, you need to roast the asparagus and make your pesto. I did this the night before so I could throw everything together quickly, but you could definitely do these two things while the naan dough rests.
- Preheat your oven (or toaster oven) on the broil setting.
- While it is heating up, spread the pesto over the naan, leaving a little room on the edge so you don’t get too messy when shoveling it into your mouth.
- Add a layer of roasted asparagus, using as much as you want.
- Finally, sprinkle some of the cheese on top. Give it a generous drizzle of olive oil and cracked black pepper.
- Put under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, keep an eye out because it burns quickly.
- pig out